Prayer is Not an Event, But a Lifestyle!
Good Morning My Loves,
Today is the National Day of Prayer. I think it’s wonderful that we have “marked” a day each year where we put an emphasis on prayer. However for the believer, prayer should not be an event, but a lifestyle like our Lord Jesus Christ modeled. He withdrew often to pray, and He taught His disciples to do likewise.
Here are some verses that show the prayer life of our Lord and what He taught us through His example:
1. Praise, submission to God’s will, provision, forgiveness, and deliverance, all come through prayer.
9 “Pray, then, in this way:
‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come,
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 ‘Give us this day our daily bread.
12 ‘And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven our debtors [letting go of both the wrong and the resentment].
13 ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.[For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.]’ (Matthew 6:9-13 AMP)
2. Prayer keeps us deeply connected to our Heavenly Father, and results in deeper revelation and understanding the hidden things.
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth [I openly and joyfully acknowledge Your great wisdom], that You have hidden these things [these spiritual truths] from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants [to new believers, to those seeking God’s will and purpose]. 26 Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. (Matthew 11:25-26)
3. Prayer causes us to spend much time “alone” in the secret place with God, to know Him, His will, and to have His strength in every situation.
23 After He had dismissed the crowds, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. When it was evening, He was there alone. (Matthew 14:23)
4. Prayer causes us to have both an “inward,” and “outward” focus. We LET GO OF INTERNAL STRESS, and give our situations over to God. We also begin to uphold those around us so that they will receive the same strength that we’ve received from the Lord.
32 but I have prayed [especially] for you [Peter], that your faith [and confidence in Me] may not fail; and you, once you have turned back again [to Me], strengthen and support your brothers [in the faith].” (Luke 22:32)
The Apostle Paul said:
Do not be anxious or worried about anything, but in everything [every circumstance and situation] by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, continue to make your [specific] requests known to God. And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours]. (Philippians 4:6-7 AMP)
5. We realize that God can do anything, but He won’t until we ask. It’s in the asking that we recognize our complete dependence upon Him, and when He answers we realize it was ALL Him and not us. This leads to even greater honor of Him, and He gets ALL the glory! 13 And I will do whatever you ask in My name [as My representative], this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified and celebrated in the Son. (John 14:13) Prayer is not so much about getting God to do what we want, as it is aligning our will with His will. Prayer keeps us connected to His heart, and then causes us to pray His heart and will over our lives and circumstances.
I don’t know about you, but I WANT THE WILL OF GOD in my life, family, city, nation, and world. As we take moments today to pray, let’s seek the will and purposes of God for our sphere of influence. Let’s pray the heart of God over each one, and trust God to move on our behalf!
He is still hearing and answering prayer, so LET’S PRAY ALWAYS! Our world needs a praying people, because our world needs the will and purposes of God to be accomplished in it, and that only happens when we pray! Remember, prayer is not an event, but a lifestyle. So, don’t worry about anything, pray about everything, and trust God with everything. God is never blind to your tears, deaf to your prayers, and silent to your pain. He sees, He hears, and He WILL deliver. So ASK and BELIEVE, and you shall RECEIVE. I love you all! PV